BR&W Work Day Report
September 22nd, 2004
Just Pete and I were available so we went to Ringoes and put the sickle bar engine back together. Since there is some Loctite that had to dry we did not fuel or start the engine afterward. We changed the belt, and filled the gas tank on the A5 plus the extra 5 gal can. The machine is ready to the next time with some adjustment of a throttle control. The goal was to get all the maintenence done on the machine so that when we have a full crew next time, we will not lose time in the morning.

We got out of Ringoes at 10:30 AM and ran slowly south, cutting some overhanging stuff as we went, Expecting serious fallen trees and flood problems, we were surprised to find that there was zero flood-related problems. In fact no fallen trees or limbs at all! We got to Rt 29 and elected to not cross since we did not have a full crew or enough flaggers. Going north we cut more overhanging stuff, and dug out a lot of the washed in dirt at the spot where the rotary always drags. This pretty much exhausted us, so we ran light north.

I let Pete, who was the driver all day, have the pleasure of throwing the switches to get us into the yard while I drove. Since it was early in the afternoon, we had an unplanned opportunity to reherse the drill for getting the car back on the rails. It went well, even tho the train arrived and we thought he was going to want to do his run-around but he could not because were doing our training exercise. In a quick half hour we had the car back on the rails and all our blocking stowed. All in all it was a successful training operation on the dangers of a self-guarding frog, and the process for getting the car going again. One thing we learned was that two people is not a useful crew. Pete and I worked to exhaustion but we did not seem to get a lot done. Three are required to do any mowing, and four is better. The car seats five. I hope we can get a bigger crew next time. (from Dick Ray)

BR&W Work Day Report